Sunday, September 22, 2013

Thai team starts giving prosthetics at Nitor

A 63-member Thai team, including four doctors, started providing prosthetics to 100 amputees, including four Rana Plaza victims, at the National Institute of Traumatology and Orthopaedic Rehabilitation (Nitor) in the capital yesterday.Meanwhile, the announcement of the team’s arrival from the Prostheses Foundation of Her Royal Highness the Princess Mother and its stay till September 27 was made at a programme in Nitor.This collaboration between the foundation and the institute was proposed by the Thai government during Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s visit in May, says a Thai embassy press release.Exactly how much this service meant to those who had lost limbs, mobility and independence was evident from one Rana Plaza survivor, Rehana, who burst into tears when brought on stage.“I find reason to live only because of the support I get from people like the doctors at Nitor and the Thai team,” said Rehana, who had lost a leg in the April 24 building collapse.Syed Ali, a 45-year-old amputee, came all the way from Jamalpur to attend the programme.“My left leg has been gone for seven years, ever since a car ran over me. I look forward to walking without crutches. Now I can perhaps work to support my family,” he told The Daily Star.Like him, Abul Fazle Dewan spoke of his dream to walk crutch-free. “I have been dependant on my children for five years ever since I lost my leg in a tree-felling accident. Now I can provide for them,” he said.Nitor Director Prof Khandaker Abdul Awal Rizwi announced that another team is set to come from India to provide limbs to Rana Plaza amputees.Health Secretary MM Niaz Uddin lauded the support extended by Thailand and Thai Ambassador to Bangladesh Madurapochana Ittarong congratulated those receiving the prosthetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bangladesh medical camp serving Rohingyas refugees in no-man’s land

Border Guard Bangladesh has set up a medical camp to extend support to the thousands of Rohingya refugees fleeing persecution in Myanmar, ...