Tuesday, September 17, 2013

SAMANTA ISLAM

She’s blazed the trail of news-casting while she was at it. Now she’s in Australia finishing her Master’s from UTS (University of Technology, Sydney). Will she make a comeback? Star Showbiz catches up with this small-screen beauty.
From news-presenter to TV host
I consider myself very lucky because for our training at CSB, famous reporters from BBC and NDTV had been flown in for our simulation training. After CSB shut down I joined ETV as News & Program Presenter. My previous experience at CSB as an assistant producer helped immensely, as one can never be a proper presenter unless you have the ‘pulse’ of a news-man. Detailed understanding of pre/post production work; and sound knowledge of news writing, packaging is an essential pre-requisite I believe. I’ve had a range of people from writers, actors, cricketers, politicians on my show. It’s been an over-whelming journey.
Juggling undergrad school and TV
My duty roster was designed to compliment my class timings. Despite the crazy hectic schedules I never missed an opportunity to participate in the annual/occasional events of NSU clubs. But after graduation, my schedules were unearthly: I would wake up at 4AM to get ready for 7AM news then head for my office at 9AM. After work, I would head to the TV station at 9PM for the 11PM news and reach home at 1AM.  Life was tough.
My family had my back eventually.
Sometimes I feel I could have spent more time with family/friends but I was in love with my job. Obviously they weren’t so supportive initially, but later on my passion and dedication for my work was evident and they appreciated my hard work.
Plans for comeback?
I have savoured every step of the way, climbed each stair at a time rather than get to the top at once. Of course I miss it. If the opportunity presents itself, I will definitely grab it. I was On-Air even two days before my flight to Sydney!
Crazy fans encounters!
Lots of regular fans always texted after the shows, complimenting my performance. Flower bouquet would often arrive unexpectedly at my work place. I remember once a marriage proposal arrived in my mailbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bangladesh medical camp serving Rohingyas refugees in no-man’s land

Border Guard Bangladesh has set up a medical camp to extend support to the thousands of Rohingya refugees fleeing persecution in Myanmar, ...